“Know, Check, Ask” Medication Safety Campaign
The “Know, Check, Ask,” Medication Safety Campaign launches on 9th July. We are delighted to invite you to be part of the campaign.
The campaign encourages people who take regular medicines, and those assisting them, to:
- Know your medicines and keep a list, bringing it to appointments and if admitted to hospital
- Check that you are using the right medicine the right way
- Ask your healthcare professional if you’re unsure
These simple actions can help people to manage their medicines. The list can aid better communication, particularly at transitions of care.
People can choose to:
- Print off a copy of the My Medicines List from www.safermeds.ie
- Ask for a My Medicines List leaflet in community pharmacies in July.
- Ask their pharmacy or GP practice to print a list of their medicines from their records.
- Create their own list, on paper, as a note on their phone or on an App.
Some people find it useful to take a photo of their list and keep it on their phone.
The HSE’s National Medication Safety Programme (Safermeds) developed the campaign from World Health Organization resources. Valuable feedback from health professionals and advocacy groups informed the campaign focus and materials.
The Know Check Ask campaign consists of:
- A social media campaign, running for two weeks in July and two weeks in September.
- Posters and My Medicines List leaflets available in community pharmacies in July (in collaboration with the Irish Pharmacy Union).
- Posters for GPs, health centres and primary care centres.
- Local promotion of the campaign by health care and advocacy organisations.
We really appreciate your support in promoting this message and campaign locally.
National Medication Safety Programme
HSE National Quality Improvement Team