I wanted to let you know about a speaker we have coming to Ireland next May who may be of interest to your members.
We have invited paediatric feeding specialist Melanie Potock to Dublin next May 14,15th to give her 2 day workshop : ‘Feeding Therapy: It’s Not Just About Swallowing’. I was hoping you would be either able to pass this CPD information onto your members, or please list it under upcoming CPD in your website.
Here is the breakdown of the workshop, with all the information needed.
It is all available at our website at: http://www.cattsireland.com/cpd-events/feeding-therapy-not-just-swallowing-melanie-potock/
(If anyone can’t access external links, the content is repeated below, along with a word.docx to allow anyone apply via post.)
CATTS is delighted to be able to welcome Melanie Potock to Ireland for her 2-day workshop: ‘Feeding Therapy: It’s Not Just About Swallowing’.
Melanie Potock, MA, CCC-SLP is a certified pediatric speech language pathologist who specializes in helping children become more adventurous eaters.
Melanie is an international speaker and the co-author of the award-winning Raising a Healthy, Happy Eater: A Parent’s Handbook : (A Stage-By-Stage Guide to Setting Your Child on the Path to Adventurous Eating)] -October, 2015, author of Adventures in Veggieland: Help your Kids Learn to Love Vegetables with 100 Easy Activities and Recipes (January 2018); the co-author of Baby Self-Feeding: Solid Food Solutions to Create Lifelong, Healthy Eating Habits (July 2016) and the author of Happy Mealtimes with Happy Kids: How to Teach Your Child about the Joy of Food (November 2010).
She is the executive producer of the children’s music CD titled Dancing in the Kitchen: Songs that Celebrate the Joy of Food! Melanie is a monthly contributor to The American Speech Language Hearing Association’s blog The ASHA Leader. Mel’s advice has been shared in Parents Magazine, Huffington Post and a variety of other media. Television appearances include CBS Philly, CBS Richmond and Colorado’s Best KWGN.
Melanie’s website www.mymunchbug.com includes an on-line educational course specifically designed for parents of picky eaters and for professionals needing practical advice on how to help families enjoy mealtimes.
Course Level: – Intermediate
This unique 2-day course benefits pediatric speech language therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, pediatricians, PHNs and dieticians interested in the bigger picture pertaining to pediatric feeding disorders.
Therapists want strategies to implement right away with their clients.
- Why do children have trouble eating?
- How are physiology, motor skills and behavior linked and how do the basic principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) strengthen that connection?
- How do family dynamics and parenting styles influence progress?
- Why is it that a child eats well in the clinic setting but cannot generalize those skills to the home and school?
This course answers those questions, provides practical strategies to implement with a variety of clients, and focuses on setting children up for success for meeting functional objectives while utilizing the premise of ABA
Upon completing the 2-day seminar, participants will be able to:
- Discuss how protective behaviors develop when GI discomfort, sensory processing challenges, delayed gross and/or fine motor skills impact a child’s willingness to eat.
- Apply the basic principles of Applied Behavior Analysis to the treatment of pediatric feeding clients .
- List 5 strategies for improving tongue mobility and developing mature swallowing patterns in children.
- Describe how to teach the following skills to toddlers and older: biting, chewing, swallowing independently, straw and open cup drinking
- Implement a hierarchical method of problem solving to meet functional outcomes.
- Understand how to problem solve new challenges with future clients by systematically breaking the task into smaller steps and teaching one step at a time.
Course fees are inclusive of:
- Access to the 2 Day Training Course on May 14th and 15th 2018.
- A copy of Melanie’s Books, ‘Raising a Healthy Happy Eater’ (RRP: £11.99) and her new book for 2018 ‘Adventures in Veggieland’ (RRP: £14.99)
- 110 Page Course Manual
- Refreshments at Breakfast and Break times on Both Days
- Lunch Provided on Both Days
To ensure sufficient teaching time to cover all attendees, this course is limited to 60 Places which will be allocated on a First Come, First Served Basis. It is open to registered SLTs, OTs, Dieticians, Psychologists and Pediatricians only.
Early Bird (Booked and Paid by January 31st, 2018) – €439
Regular Fee (From February 1st to March 31st, 2018) – €529
Online Booking and Payment is available at:
If you are unable to register online, please complete the application form below and return it to the address listed.
086 467 9292